The BEP 3.0 not only serves as gauge, but fulfills other essential functions for the K Bike that enables riding the bike in the first place.
When simply installing a non-stock replacement speedo (without BEP 3.0) then you lose the following functionality:
- The starter push-button cannot be used anymore (only with applied clutch)
- Signal for the neutral light cannot be picked off at the wiring harness
- The speed signal from the final drive is unavailable
- The emergency fuel tank indicator at 4L is unavailable
- The automatic turn signal resetting does not work
- The battery will no longer be charged
The Lunch Box does not exclusively function as a gauge but also decrypts signals (the speedo signal from the final drive), compares signals (comparator 4L indicator) and sends out signals itself (starter push-button, generator, automatic turn signal switch shutoff etc…).
The BEP3.0 accomplishes all these tasks within compact circuitry.
Two Limitations of Functionality exist:
- If your fuel tank is not equipped with a float then the level sensor of your speedo will not function either. In this case, only a fuel gauge (being triggered at fuel level of 4L, as in the original) can be used instead.
- The BEP3.0 does not provide an engine speed signal. Motogadget is selling an ignition signal pick-up for the ignition cable at a price of €30. Other manufacturers pick off the high-voltage-signal capacitively or make use of the 12-volt-control signal of the ignition coil (not high-voltage side). Tests for extended periods have been carried out and unfortunately found no way to filter the engine speed signal in such a way, that it is compatible with any speedo type. We woudl not recommend the use of a speed output.
Please locate installation well protected from the weather. Electronics are (as in all other cases) sensitive to water. Your K Bike always has space for electronic parts below the fuel tank. The wiring harness can be connected with ease. The speedo wires simply have to be connected to the respective outlets. The WAGO connectors used are highly vibration-resistant. No soldering bits nor barrel connectors are required.
103mm x 62mm x 20mm
4 1/16" x 2 7/16" x 3/4"
See FAQ here